Big things are coming in 2018 for the Summit Racing Equipment I-X Piston Powered Auto-Rama!
It is Cleveland’s largest and most powerful Piston Powered vehicle
with 14,000 horsepower, 112 pistons and 224 spark plugs debuting this March.
The Summit Racing Equipment I-X Piston Powered Auto-Rama will debut Cleveland’s largest piston powered vehicle at this year’s show. The Boeing KC-97G Stratofreighter, arrived at the I-X Center on Friday, June 23rd, 2017 after spending almost 40 years at the Military Aircraft Storage and Disposition Center at the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona. Since its arrival at the I-X Center, more than 800 hours of work has been done to restore the outside of the plane to its natural state. To date, there are only 24 KC-97G aircrafts displayed throughout the world, so the uniqueness seeing this plane up close and personal is very rare.
Gordon “Yard Sale” Bowers and Rebecca “Scorch” Luther will be on-hand all weekend long at the 2018 Summit Racing Equipment I-X Piston Powered Auto-Rama in the DMZ (Designate Military Zone) to talk about the aerodynamics and engines at the debut of the I-X Center’s Boeing KC-97G Stratotanker.
Thanks to Brian Albrecht from Cleveland.com for the feature article. Read it here!
About: Gordon “Yard Sale” Bowers
- Commercial developer in Richmond, VA
- Gordon has been a pilot since 1977
- He has more than 4,000 hours of flight time
- More than 2,000 hours in the T-28
- Commercial pilot’s license with instrument rating
- Got his T-28 rating in 1996
- He is now an FAA Authorized Instructor for the T-28
- He is a qualified formation Wingman and Leader
- Does air shows regularly
- Has performed individually and as part of a formation demonstration team
- Gordon doesn’t tell people how he got his call sign “Yard Sale”
About: Rebecca L. Luther
- Rebecca is an Airline Transport rated pilot and flight instructor with instrument and multi-engine ratings. During her 30 years as a pilot/instructor, Becky has accumulated over 5,700 hours of flight time in both propeller-driven and jet aircraft with 2,700 hours of dual flight instruction to students. She has earned the FAA Gold Seal Instructor designation for excellence in instruction. She holds Type Ratings in the North American T-28 Trojan and Citation jets.
- She was the former Director of Training and Chief Flight Instructor for Dominion Aviation in Richmond, Virginia, overseeing all administrative aspects of Dominion’s flight school operations from 1994 – 2009.
- Rebecca’s career combines with her special interest in naval and vintage aircraft aircraft. For 14 years she was the Director of the WarBird Museum of Virginia featuring a Navy T-28 Trojan. The museum was established primarily for educational purposes and the preservation of historically significant ex-military aircraft. She displayed and flew the plane at both civilian and military air shows.
- Currently she serves as the Director of the Virginia Vintage Aircraft Museum. The museum is restoring two vintage Ercoupe aircraft which will also be flown and displayed at airshows.
- Rebecca is an aviation speaker for local civic groups, high schools, community colleges and FAA pilot safety seminars.
- She is a 1971 graduate of The Ohio State University with a BSN in Nursing. Her nursing career encompassed Public Health and Pediatric Nursing.
- Rebecca currently resides in Cartersville, GA.
- Professional Affiliations include:
National Association of Flight Instructors
Ninety-Nines – International Organization for Women Pilots
Women in Aviation International
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
North American Trainer Association
Experimental Aircraft Association
Warbirds of America